30 Amazing Plank Exercises To Improve Your Love Of Planks
1. Elbow Plank (“Classic Plank”)
The classic move and where you should start your planking journey.
- Make sure to keep your tush down and head in a neutral or looking slightly forward position. Don’t drop the head to look down at your toes.
- Keep the shoulders directly over the elbows or a little bit forward. But not behind as this drives your butt into the sky.
- Squeeze the butt and thighs together to engage the muscles.
- Now hold it for as long as possible!
2. Top Of Push-up Plank
- Just like the plank above, but have arms pressed to extension as if getting ready to do a push-ups.
- Hands stay directly under shoulders.
- For many, this is an easier variation to start with due to the slight incline of the body.
3. Side Plank
- Rotate the body and like standard plank, keep the elbow directly under the body.
- Pull the hips up towards the sky.
- Have the top arm placed either on hip or extended up.
4. Plank Jacks
- Start in the classic plank position.
- Feet start together, then jump them a little wider than shoulder width apart and jump back to start.
- Start at the top of push-up position.
- With the foot flexed, bring the right knee towards the right elbow.
- Leg is bent to 90-degrees with the hip rotating the foot out, away from the body.
- While the leg is moving up, look back towards it to really feel the core work.
- Repeat with the left side.
6. Plank Up-Downs (“Hell Raisers”)
- Start in the classic position and lift the right arm up, place the hand where your elbow was (right under the shoulder) and push up to the top of a push-up.
- Lower back down, one elbow at a time and repeat with the other hand being the “lead” arm.
7. Side Plank Toe Touches
- This is an amazing balance move. It will also work the core and shoulders.
- Start in elbow side plank and the hand right under your shoulder.
- The top foot remains straight and kicks out and up while your top arm reaches to touch your toes.
- Return to start and repeat until set is over. Then, move to the other side.
8. Side Plank Knee To Elbow
- Similar to above as far as starting position.
- The top arm is place with hand on your head and elbow going towards the sky.
- The top leg bends up towards the elbow.
9. Tom Cruise Plank (Mission Impossible Style)
- Start in the top of a push-up position.
- Slowly widen your hands and feet as wide as possible.
- Lower your body down towards the ground so it’s just hovering.
- Hold it.
10. Plank Walks
- Start in push-up position and take a step to the side by moving both your hand and your leg.
- Then move the other side to return to push-up position.
- Repeat so you move down the floor.
- Concentrate on keeping the butt down as it’s easy to let it climb up.
11. Plank Rows (Renegade Rows)
- Get in a push-up plank with dumbbells.
- Keep the core tight as you row the weight up to the outside of your chest, elbow being pulled straight up.
12. Plank Lateral Jumps
- Start on elbows or top of a push-up (what’s best for you)
- Squeeze legs together and jump feet from side to side.
- If you have a stepper, you can use it to jump over.
13. Plank Thrusters
- Push-up start position.
- Keep your shoulders in line above hands.
- Jump your feet forward between your hands and back out to a tight plank.
14. 1-Legged Plank
- From the classic plank, lift one leg off the ground.
- Hold for a count and lower to repeat on the other side.
15. 1-Arm Plank
- From the classic plank, lift one arm off the ground.
- Have it extended along side of the body.
Continues on next page…2