The secret to faster healing from an intense workout session is through foam roller exercises. This simple and modest equipment breaks up the adhesions in the fascia which helps to speed up the process of recovery. The best thing is; it is extremely easy to use this tool.
If you are a beginner with foam rolling exercises, then you should opt for a soft foam roller so that you can roll easily without stressing your muscles or causing too much discomfort. Once you get used to the methods and techniques, you can switch to a firmer roller.
Foam rolling exercises can be done after every workout session for 3 to 5 minutes in order to soothe tight and strained muscles. The correct method of using a foam roller is to place as much body mass as possible on the roller. Start at the muscle closest to the body and roll down the length of the muscle using kneading motions and then quickly go back to the starting position in one swift motion.
Benefits of Foam Roller Exercises
The amazing foam roller benefits for muscle tension and pain makes it one of the most popular stretching equipment that is widely used in gyms and fitness hubs.
- Regular foam rolling helps to increase blood flow to the muscles which in turn enhances oxygen delivery during workouts.
- Foam roller stretches help to relieve muscle tension after a strenuous workout session.
- The pressure applied to a specific area can be controlled so that you can focus on the problem areas in a more effective manner.
- The action and movement involved in foam rolling exercises stretch and lengthens the muscles and allows you to maximize the workouts.
- These workouts decrease recovery time and promote muscle repair so that you can be prepared for the workout the next day.
- Improved blood flow to the muscles helps to flush out toxins from the muscles and reduce the appearance of cellulite.
10 Relaxing Foam Roller Stretches for the Whole Body
Foam roller exercises not only helps to relieve pain through application of self-pressure but also increase the range of motion along with improvement in flexibility.
Upper Back (Thoracic Spine) Roll
What better way to relax and unwind the stressed upper back muscles that with the healing foam roller exercises for the upper back?
Lie down flat on the floor and place a foam roller underneath the upper back keeping your arms crossed in front of you, protracting your shoulder blades. Now, raise your hips off the ground, putting the weight on the roller, shifting the body weight to one side rolling from upper to mid back. Repeat the role 10 times and then alternate sides. In order to perfect the move, don’t tilt your head forward because it puts stress on the spine. Always keep your head and neck in one line with your back.
The muscles of the legs are the most difficult to work out and relax, and one of the best way to work it in a healing and mild way is through foam roller exercise for calves.
Begin in a seated position on the floor with the foam roller placed underneath the calves or lower legs. Keep your hands at sides or just behind the body and press on the floor to lift the body off the floor. Your entire weight should be on your hands. Now, roll forward and back slowly so that the roller also moves up and down below the leg from the knees to the ankles. Roll for 10 repetitions and the repeat on opposite leg. Try to turn your feet in or out as you roll in order to change the emphasis on the leg.
Continues on next page(Page 2) >>